Liposuction, Realistic Expectations During and After Recovery
Liposuction has become an increasingly common cosmetic surgery over the last few decades, and it offers the potential for promising results. However, if you have scheduled an appointment for this procedure, it is important that you understand liposuction realistic expectations during and after recovery.
By exploring the process from start to finish, you can gain a sense of what you might reasonably expect to experience. Your doctor should explain all aspects of the process in great detail, but you may also wish to research the topic on your own.
Common Liposuction Expectations
Prospective patients do not always have liposuction realistic expectations when they are considering the surgery. One of the most common misconceptions people have about liposuction is that it will help them to lose weight. Liposuction is not a weight-loss method – instead, it generally provides a way to achieve a more contoured figure after the majority of a person’s weight loss has already been achieved.
Another fallacy that countless people believe is that liposuction is extremely painful, and that it involves a very long, painful recovery period. Actually, an individual who has a moderate amount of liposuction should not experience a lot of pain or a lengthy recovery time.
Liposuction Realistic Expectations for Those Considering the Procedure
Now that you are aware of two rather widespread misconceptions about this surgery, you can also explore what you might expect after this procedure. You should not schedule or undergo this treatment until you are thoroughly aware of what is typically expected after liposuction.
Consider these points as you explore the likely possibilities post-liposuction:
- Reasonable Outcome: Do not expect a magical transformation after you have the surgery performed. Instead, you should look forward to a gentle re-sculpting of the area in which liposuction was implemented.
- Decrease in Fatty Bulges/Fat Cells: In addition to moderate sculpting of the affected area, you may also experience some reduction of fatty bulges. If your primary objective is to see a decrease in such bulges, there is a good chance that you will be pleased with the outcome. Liposuction does effectively remove fat cells from the body.
- Permanent Modification: Liposuction provides results that are essentially permanent. The area that you have had sculpted will take on a different shape. This body modification is permanent in the sense that the new shape should remain as it is. However, the procedure will not entirely prevent you from gaining weight in that area. If you do gain weight, that part of the body may take on some of the added weight, but the new shape should also remain intact.
- Noticeable Results: Do not expect to see results immediately following the procedure. The affected area will change, but this might not be noticeable during the first several weeks of recovery. After approximately four to six weeks, some of the desired modifications should begin to manifest.
- Physical Effects: Your body will take some time to heal after surgery. During the first four to six weeks, you may experience side effects such as bruising and swelling. Some pain is also normal during the recovery time after surgery.
Keep Your Expectations Realistic
Depending on your physical condition and other circumstances, liposuction could be an ideal choice. If you have already lost weight and simply wish to have some fat cells removed, you may want to think about this procedure as an option. If you would like to add contour to your body in a few strategic places, getting liposuction might be a viable strategy. Before you make any major decisions, always talk to your doctor about the pros and cons involved. If you keep liposuction realistic expectations, this popular surgery may be the perfect solution for you.
Ready to talk about liposuction and your options? Call today to schedule a consultation.